Saturday, September 26, 2009

I am the heir of Slytherin





Mike is right, I AM psychic, or the last heir of Slytherin. We just got back from a week in the pampas (flatlands) and jungle, which Mike is going to write about in great detail, but I get dibs on the anaconda day for reasons which will soon be obvious.

After waking up in our little CEPs (see Mike´s post), we had a delicious breakfast of pancakes and UFOs (unidentified fried objects) and set off to hike to the treeline where the anacondas apparently live. The anaconda-spotting rate is down to only 30% right now because it´s dry season, but I was optimistic and told Mike not to worry because I had had a vivid dream that I found the anaconda. Arrogant, I know. But dream Laura was already aware of my secret snake-whispering powers....

So after hours hiking we met up with another disillusioned tour group who had had no success in finding an anaconda. This Kiwi guy from the other group suggested we all split up to wade through the grass looking for the anacondas so that we cover more ground, because up until that point we were just tagging behind the guides. I told him I was not about to stumble through tall grass on my own with the largest species of snake looming down below, and that I was sticking to the trail.

And then it happened. Dream Laura took over and unleashed my Parcel Tongue abilities (Mike has finally gotten me to make Harry Potter references). With the Kiwi guy still walking next to me, I said "If I were a snake..... I would be..... right......" and I walked over to the tall grass, parted it, and said "HERE" only to find the anaconda sitting right before me!!!! The Kiwi guy and everyone around immediately thought I was a witch, but it didn´t matter because we got to hold the anaconda!

It was only 5 years old so it was smaller than I had imagined, especially after seeing the movie ANACONDA. But it was still about as long as myself, and it was creepy as hell holding it in the wild. I felt like the Crocodile Hunter, god rest his soul. Anyways, I know anyone readings this (which undoubtedly is only my mom, mike´s mom, and catherine) thinks I´m embellishing the facts for story-telling´s sake, but ask Mike or anyone who was there... it happened just as I explained it (except for the part when I said I speak Parcel Tongue).

This was the unedited account of my dream and real-life experience that brought me to the conclusion that I am the true heir of Slytherin. Watch out, Harry Potter.

4 comments:

  1. I love it babe! and I believe every word! (though I AM your mom). You always did have special powers though and an ability to obtain whatever goal you set for yourself. Go Laura!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ak wanted me to tell you he is jealous you saw the anaconda! :) good job, snake hunter!
    ~Ro

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Given the above comments, there are indeed more people that read your blog that you are aware of
    2) I am thankful that your prophetic dream did not include you being eaten by the anaconda...wouldn't want to see that being fulfilled.
    3) What's next on the agenda for the newfound Parsel Mouth?

    ReplyDelete